Now available: Jaarboek Thomas Instituut te Utrecht 2009
This yearbook 2009 presents six different scholarly studies in which the thought of Thomas Aquinas plays an important role.First Rudi te Velde discusses the concept of transcendence from the angle of participation and the problem of theism. Harm Goris then focuses on Aquinas' notion of divine ubiquity.
Adoption and divine sonship is the theme of the contribution by Herwi Rikhof. Henk Schoot addresses some hermeneutical aspects of Aquinas' soteriology.
These four studies are based on lectures given by the contributors during a morning of studies organized by the Thomas Instituut te Utrecht on January 29, 2010. During this meeting the most recent volume of the series Publications of the Thomas Instituut te Utrecht was presented to a larger audience. The lectures therefore were adapted and held in Dutch. (Those who do not master the Dutch language are kindly referred to volume 13 of our publication series.)
In our yearbook 2003, Jude Chua Soo Meng of the University of Singapore, published a study on the concept of negative contrast experiences, a concept developed by Edward Schillebeeckx. In the fifth contribution Dr. Meng follows up on that study, focusing on the usefulness in this regard of taking pictures. They can help accessing the experience of such negative experiences of contrast and by implication the grasp of natural law’s normative prescriptions.
The last contribution, by Henk Schoot, concerns a lecture on the second papal encyclical of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, Spe salvi, where the author intends to show the usefulness of applying a fourfold concept of salvation, construed on the basis of Aquinas’ soteriology, to the thoughts Pope Benedict expresses.
List of contents
- Introduction (Henk Schoot)
- Over transcendentie gesproken (Rudi te Velde)
- 'Gij zijt in alles diep verscholen'. Thomas van Aquino over Gods alomtegenwoordigheid (Harm Goris)
- Het kindschap Gods (Herwi Rikhof)
- Actuele hermeneutische aspekten van de soteriologie van Thomas van Aquino (Henk Schoot)
- Taking Pictures with Negative Contrast. Edward Schillebeeckx, Critical Remembrance and Policy Analysis As Practical Reason (Jude Chua Soo Meng)
- Spe Salvi: Hoop op gerechtigheid in Christus. Een interpretatie met behulp van Thomas van Aquino (Henk Schoot)
This Jaarboek 2009 Thomas Instituut te Utrecht can be ordered at the administration office at the price of euro 12,00 (Netherlands), euro 18,00 (Europe), euro 23,00 (non-European countries).